Vision and Mission of the Heads of Medicines Agencies
The Heads of Medicines Agencies aim to protect and promote public and animal health in Europe.
The Heads of Medicines Agencies work to foster an effective and efficient European medicines regulatory system.
Who are we?
The Heads of Medicines Agencies is a network of the Heads of the National Competent Authorities whose organisations are responsible for the regulation of Medicinal Products for human and veterinary use in the European Economic Area. The Heads of Medicines Agencies is supported by working groups covering specific areas of responsibility and by the Heads of Medicines Agencies Management Group and Permanent Secretariat.
The Heads of Medicines Agencies co-operates with the European Medicines Agency and the European Commission in the operation of the European Medicines Regulatory Network (“the Network”).
In its work, the Heads of Medicines Agencies is committed to:
- Securing the efficient and effective operation of both the European Medicines Regulatory System and the Network.
- Ensuring that available resources are sufficient to support the work of the network. Ensuring that the Network is aware of and responds appropriately to the challenges it faces due to the ever-changing nature of the environment in which it operates.
- Openness and transparency within the Network.
- Being attentive and providing a high level of performance to our stakeholders.
- Exploring work sharing possibilities in order to use the best expertise and to save resources.
- Being trustworthy by being receptive to new knowledge and sound argument and adapting its positions and strategies accordingly.
The Heads of Medicines Agencies:
- Addresses key strategic issues for the Network, to exchange information and to share best practice within the Network.
- Collectively, has the responsibility for all areas of medicines regulation, e.g. the Mutual Recognition and Decentralised procedures.
- Focuses on the development, co-ordination and consistency of the European Medicines Regulatory System.
- Provides support to the Network through provision of high quality professional and scientific resource.
- Provides a focus for making the most effective use of scarce resources across the Network, e.g. through developing and overseeing arrangements for work-sharing.
Heads of Medicines Agencies - Highlights and achievements
(published on the occasion of the 50th HMA meeting on 11-12 July 2007 in Lisbon, Portugal)