Task Force (veterinary) on Antimicrobial Issues
The task force was established in June 2010 to deliver the HMA (veterinary) Strategy on Antimicrobial Issues.
HMA Strategic Plan on antimicrobial issues
Antimicrobial resistance (AMR) is considered to be a major global public health concern and a potential food safety issue. In the area of veterinary medicine, this issue needs to be considered both from a human health perspective and from the perspective of protection of animal health and welfare and the environment.
Resistance in bacterial species can cause difficulties in the treatment of both the life threatening and serious, injurious infections in humans and animals.
The concerns related to AMR have been discussed by the HMA as a result of which a strategic plan was prepared on veterinary medicine related antimicrobial issues. The objective for this strategic plan is to identify areas where HMA has responsibility to catalyse, facilitate and directly implement activities within the EU and intentify those areas where involvement of HMA with other parties would be beneficial.
The HMA strategic plan on antimicrobial issues provides the HMA with a vision with respect to AMR. In addition to the HMA vision, the HMA Strategic plan defines the relative responsibilities of both Nation Competent Authorities (NCAs) and of HMA acting collectively. Concrete steps/actions to be taken by the HMA and NCAs are outlined in the HMA Action plan.
- HMA Strategic Plan on antimicrobial issues | pdf
Agreed June 2010
- HMA Action Plan on antimicrobial issues | pdf
Revised and Adopted HMA November 2013
Members and Representatives
- Representatives from joint and veterinary regulatory bodies.
- Chair: Pete Borriello, VMD, UK
- Mentor: ‘None-stated’
- Meeting cycle: Usually every 2 months, and usually by teleconference
- The task force is open to all HMA members and includes a number of experts from the National Competent Authorities. The EMA is also a member and regular attendee. The Commission is invited to attend and does so occasionally.
Ms. Gemma Adam, VMD, UK
Activities and achievements
Achievements in 2012 (from Annual Report)
- Agreement on definition of antimicrobials and antibiotics for use by HMA. Terms also adopted by a number of other bodies. (in Key documents list)
- Joint survey conducted with FVE on EU veterinarian antibiotic prescribing habits and factors influencing these.
Workshop on European surveillance of veterinary pathogens, Paris 12 March 2013
A workshop on European surveillance of veterinary pathogens was held in Paris on 12th March 2013, during the margins of the OIE Global Conference on the Responsible and Prudent Use of Antimicrobial Agents for Animals. The outcomes and list of attendees at the workshop are;
National Competent Authorities (NCAs) Activities Regarding Antimicrobial Resistance
The knowledge about habits for prescription and use of antimicrobials in the EU is sparse and therefore an action from the HMA Action plan was to gain more information from NCAs on their current national activities relating to antimicrobial resistance.
This information was collated and summarised in the documents below.
- Overview of Member State and EFTA country Veterinary Regulatory Agency activities in the area of AMR (as of November 2011) | pdf
- Summary of the veterinary antimicrobial resistance surveillance activities performed in each Member State and EFTA countries (as of November 2011) | pdf
HMA EMA Meeting 'Progress in the area of Antimicrobial Resistance - Veterinary Medicines' – 15-16 September 2011
Another step from the HMA Action plan was to look at communication and interaction with stakeholders in the Member States and at the Community level. A number of stakeholders were identified and invited to attend a meeting to discuss 'Progress in the area of Antimicrobial Resisitance - Veterinary Medicines'.
The agenda, report of the meeting and presentations from the meeting are published below.
- Report of the 'Progress in the area of Antimicrobial Resistance - Veterinary Medicines' meeting | pdf
- Presentation - HMA | pdf
- Presentation - EMA | pdf
- Presentation - CVMP | pdf
- Presentation - ESVAC | pdf
- Presentation - EGGVP | pdf
- Presentation - FVE | pdf
- Presentation - EPRUMA | pdf
- Presentation - AVC | pdf
Key documents list
- Paper 'Factors Influencing Antibiotic Prescribing Habits and Use of Sensitivity Testing Amongst Veterinarians in Europe'
This published paper is the result of a piece of work done for HMA as part of the AMR Task Force. The paper sets out the findings from the survey conducted by the Federation of Veterinarians of Europe and the HMA which examined the factors which influence veterinarians when deciding which antibiotics to prescribe, as well as the extent and circumstances of use of sensitivity testing.
- HMA paper ‘Definition of the terms "Antibiotic" and "Antimicrobial" | pdf
Agreed at HMA October 2012